Children’s Dentistry in Wantirna
Give your kids long-lasting, healthy smiles!
Looking after your children’s dental health is a crucial part of their daily lives, as this is the time when their primary or ‘milk’ teeth are erupting and the permanent teeth are still under development beneath the primary roots.
Children’s teeth tend to be more susceptible to dental decay or caries, as they have a thinner enamel layer and a larger chamber for the dental nerve or “pulp”, which can get easily infected soon after a cavity has formed owing to its close proximity to the tooth surface as compared to adult’s permanent teeth.
Why is it important to care for children’s teeth?
If a child suffers from dental issues, treatment is absolutely necessary in the form of a cleaning, fillings or even a root canal. It is advised that you start your child’s dental care at an early age and make regular visits to the dentist. Some of the key benefits include:
- Early detection of issues
- Preventing tooth decay
- Promoting proper tooth development
- Preventing dental anxiety at an early age
- Developing good oral habits
Dental Hygiene for Infants
Dental care should begin as early as possible. You may begin with wiping your child’s teeth with a soft cloth or a baby tooth brush. As they grow, teaching them to brush their teeth after age 2 using a pea-sized amount of fluoride toothpaste and helping them do so as a fun activity truly helps them develop this healthy habit.
A dental check-up between the age of 1 and 2 years is a good way to begin professional dental care for your child, ensuring their teeth develop healthy and clean. The dentist can also predict the likelihood of any future developmental anomalies, so prevention is essential.
Taking your child for regular dental check-ups and rewarding them after each visit is an excellent way to help them grow confident and even get excited about visiting the dentist. This can greatly help eliminate the future possibility of dental anxiety, which usually occurs due to a negative experience with the dentist at an early age.
To further aid in maintaining your child’s oral hygiene, avoid giving them sweet snacks and juices in between meals. Replace these with fruits and vegetables to aid in their teeth’s physical cleaning and also keep their vitamin intake intact.
Children’s Dental Care Treatments in Wantirna
When a child requires dental care, there are a range of treatments that can be carried out. In Wantirna, we provide a wide variety of dental care for your child’s dental needs:
Healthy smiles for your little ones!
Child Dental Benefits Scheme (CDBS)
As can be understood, dental care is expensive and many parents neglect their child’s dental health needs due to the expenses incurred, assuming their primary teeth will be shed anyway and the permanent ones will replace them. This concept is harmful for the children who can then suffer from major dental disease which may go untreated, and cause further damage to the developing permanent teeth below.
Not all dental practices offer the Child Dental Benefit Scheme (CDBS), which aims to help fund children’s dental health needs between the ages of 0-17 years. But we at Studfield Dental Group are proud providers of the CDBS. Over 3 million children are aided financially via the Child Dental Benefit Scheme through the Australian Government Medicare every year.
Medicare provides up to $1,052 to eligible children over two calendar years, covering various dental treatments. Eligible families already receive some form of financial aid, such as the Family Tax Benefit A payments.
Eligible children may receive a variety of dental treatments such as detailed dental examinations, cleanings, fillings and root canal treatments. Orthodontic treatment (braces), cosmetic dental treatment and major surgeries are not covered by the CDBS.
Is your child eligible for CDBS?
Eligibility for the CDBS is determined at the beginning of every calendar year, where the parent or child must meet the requirements for at least one day of that year. Children or parents who become eligible during the calendar year receive payment for the entire year.
Children eligible for Medicare, between the ages of 0-17 years and who receive one or more of the following benefits are eligible for CDBS:
- Family Tax Benefit A
- Youth Allowance
- Carer Payment
- Special benefit
- Parenting payment
- Disability support pension
- Veteran’s Children Education Scheme (age 16 or above)
- Military Rehabilitation and Compensation Act Education and Training Scheme (age 16 or above)
Payments of the CDBS that have not been used by you or your child during the first year can be transferred in full into the second year.
If you wish to use more than the allowance of the CDBS, we at Studfield Dental Group are happy to provide you all details and the best treatment options to suit your child’s individual dental needs.
We at Studfield Dental Group have an excellent team of dentists specialised in treating children. Not only are they warm, friendly and highly trained, but they will also ensure your child leaves happy, smiling and feeling cared for by their dentist, excited for their next visit!
Taking care of your child’s teeth
Looking after your child’s teeth is vital for their overall health. Here are some tips:
- Start early: Begin your child’s oral care even before the first tooth appears by wiping your baby’s gums with a soft, damp cloth after feedings.
- First visit: Schedule your child’s first dental visit when their first tooth erupts and go for regular checkups every 6 months to prevent any potential issues.
- Use the right toothbrush: Use a soft bristled toothbrush suitable for your child’s age. For infants, a finger brush can be gentle on their gums.
- Develop a routine: Make brushing and flossing a definite part of your child’s daily routine.
- Healthy diet: Limit sugary snacks and drinks. Encourage a balanced diet for strong teeth and gums.
- Protect teeth during sports activities: Consider a mouthguard to protect their teeth from injury.
Why Choose SDG Dental
Choosing Studfield Dental Group in Wantirna will give you peace of mind knowing that your child’s oral health is in the dedicated, trained and highly experienced hands of our friendly dental team.
- Highly skilled and experienced dentists
- State-of-the-art equipment and techniques
- Friendly and caring dental team
- Patient-focused approach
- Personalised treatment plans
- A wide range of dental services such as general dentistry, cosmetic dentistry, orthodontics, emergency dentistry, family dentistry, laser dentistry and much under one roof.
Schedule a consultation with Studfield Dental Group today to help your child take the first step towards a brighter and healthier smile!