Root Canal Treatment
Save your smile with root canal treatment
Severely infected teeth need immediate attention and professional care or they may need to be extracted. Root canal treatment may be the only option available to save your natural tooth when suffering from an advanced stage of decay. This treatment ensures any extra damage is prevented and the infection is kept under control! Using modern dentistry & technology, like the Fotona Lightwalker, we can make sure that this treatment is as painless as possible when you come in for a root canal at Studfield Dental Group.
What is root canal treatment?
Each tooth has an inner, soft centre that is known as a “dental pulp”. The dental pulp is made up of vital tissues and nerves extending deep into the root of your tooth. If damaged or compromised, this can lead to severe pain or infection that can only be treated with what is known as root canal therapy.
Also called “endodontic treatment”, root canal therapy is used to help save a tooth with a decayed, damaged or dead pulp by removing the infected pulp, cleaning it out with antibiotics and preventing the infection from spreading.
Teeth with a history of large fillings, significant decay or damage are more at risk of an infection developing. Once the procedure is completed, the tooth is fully functional but far more brittle. This makes it more vulnerable to fractures or breakage so a dental crown is often placed on top to protect the tooth and to provide the best results.
Do I need a root canal treatment?
If you’re wondering whether you’re in need of root canal therapy or not, you’ll have to consider a few things when it comes to your oral health and the general condition of your teeth:
- Discomfort in and around the problematic tooth and gums
- Pain when biting down
- Pus around the tooth & pimples forming around gumlines
- Increased or prolonged sensitivity to hot and cold temperatures
- Swelling of the gums, face or fever
Also consider your dental history: have you had regular cases of infection, trauma or restorative work done? If you are experiencing any of the above symptoms, schedule a consultation with our dentist to see what may be the best treatment for you.
What causes an infected tooth?
You’re at risk of needing root canal therapy (RCT) if you have or show signs of any of the below:
- Gum disease
- Severe tooth decay
- An abscessed tooth
- Old restorative dental work
- Dental trauma
- Bruxism (teeth grinding)
- Discoloration of teeth (i.e. a darker shade)
Benefits of a root canal
Despite how complex the general outlook may seem, RCT is a simple and painless procedure that will offer you many benefits:
- Comparatively pain-free procedure with little discomfort
- Relieves severe pain caused by infected or inflamed dental pulp.
- Quick & more cost-effective than tooth extraction
- Long-lasting results with proper maintenance
- No changes to surrounding teeth
- Restores normal biting and chewing function.
- Prevents the spread of infection to surrounding tissues.
- Maintains the appearance of your smile.
- You get to keep your natural tooth
Keeping your natural tooth functioning is in itself a remarkable advantage. Your natural tooth doesn’t just feel better than a prosthetic tooth, it also functions better. Any future dental costs and procedures will also be limited.
If you need RCT, don’t put it off! When left untreated, your infection can cause severe pain and nerve damage, eventually spreading and leading to tooth loss.
Save your natural tooth with a root canal
The Process of Root Canal Therapy (RCT) in Wantirna
- During your initial consultation, a thorough evaluation of your affected tooth will be conducted, with necessary x-rays to identify the extent of the infection.
- Your root canal will begin with the area around your tooth being numbed with local anaesthetic. The affected tooth will be isolated from the rest using a rubber dam.
- The infected pulp will be removed, cleaned and the tooth will be sealed again with a temporary filling. This will be replaced with a permanent one once the root canal has healed.
- A crown may be placed on top, if necessary, to strengthen your tooth.
Using Fotona LightWalker
At Studfield Dental Group we offer the latest in modern dentistry to give you the best experience and results. Fotona laser treatments combined with traditional root canal techniques helps effectively and easily eliminate all bacteria, while completely removing any infected dental pulp. Laser RCT is a more conservative and comprehensive decontamination of the pulp chamber compared to the manual bio-debridement of the chamber.
Cost of a Root Canal Treatment in Wantirna
Root canal treatment cost varies depending on the complexity of your case and your unique condition. It’s best to consult with one of our experienced dentists to get an accurate estimate of the cost of treatment. However, it’s also worth noting that delaying treatment can make the condition worse, leading to more extensive and expensive procedures in the future.
Investing in your dental health now can save you from more costly treatments and help preserve your natural teeth.
Recovering from a root canal
Recovery time may vary from individual to individual but on average it takes a few days to heal. In the meantime, there are certain steps you can take to make sure your recovery goes smoothly.
- Rinse your mouth out gently with warm, salt water.
- Stick to drinking cold water to help soothe any irritation.
- Eat soft foods that are easier to chew.
- Avoid spicy foods as these may irritate your teeth.
- Use antibiotics and inflammatory medication prescribed by your clinician.
You may experience slight inflammation, but don’t hesitate to reach out to our Practice if you have any worries or clarifications. At Studfield Dental Group, our dental professionals will make sure you’re in the safest hands possible.